Langsung ke konten utama

Being pregnant in Jakarta

It's tough.

Especially if you're a working-pregnant woman who commutes everyday using commuter line train and TransJakarta bus. Yes, there are special seats for pregnant women in the train and the TransJakarta, but you just can't help it when it's rush hour and you're departing from the 3rd-4th-5th-and more stations or bus shelters where the mentioned public transportation are already filled and crowded from other commuting people (hah, what an ineffective sentence). I witnessed, several freaking times, where I saw pregnant woman stands in the middle of crowded passengers, both on the train and the bus. Trying to hold and protect their tummy from the pressure.

Oh, I'd give my seat, if I myself were sitting. And of course I helped them to find a seat and sit down. But that one time I couldn't help her to sit down as the priority seats in front of us were already full of pregnant woman. It really bothers me the whole ride because we can't move either, as the train was already cramped.

I remember years ago when mom conceived my sister and my brother (both at different times), and she had to commute almost everyday to Pariaman because she was teaching there. We had no private car, so mom had to take a bus an hour long ride to Pariaman. Most of the times, mom stood the whole ride because the bus was full and people are ***hole. Pardon my language. I remember she complained every time she came home because no one gave her seat when she was heading to Pariaman and on her ride back home.

And you can't just forget that time in 2014, where a young lady posted a rage update about not wanting to give her seat to pregnant woman just because she herself woke in the morning just to get a seat on the train. It went viral because she pointed to every pregnant women that they shouldn't get on the train as the train's situation are not freakin suitable for them.

Well lady, you are not wrong. You're just an a***ole.

If these pregnant women had other choices, they will frickin choose any transportation but train. But have you seen Jakarta roads in the morning? Have you seen the total cost of using car/bus/motorcycle compared to train? Their choices are limited. Compared to other transportation, train is definitely cheaper, faster, and more convenient. If people were kinder and more caring with any standing-pregnant-women in front of them, it could relieve their pain and ease their feelings.

I can't imagine where I was one of these working-pregnant ladies and still hadto commute to work by using train or bus.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Story of Unsuccessful Romance: Chapter 1

 I Saw You Across The Classroom I would've never thought that the moment I saw him for the first time across our classroom was the moment that I would remember for the longest time. I was just a 14 year old kid who like pretty people with pretty eyes. Little did I know I would think over him over the years.. I got accepted to one of reputable public high school in my city, barely. My name was at the bottom of selection results, like, the last 5 people who got in to this school. Nevertheless, I was excited, of course. It was my dream to be a student here since it would help me path my way to go to reputable universities in the future. Back then, this school had two special programs, the acceleration program where you could study in high school for two years, and the international program- where you (were supposed to) learn all the subjects in English. I just finished my orientation and I was initially studying at grade X(ten) - 3. My mom, who is a high school teacher herself in anot

feelings and emotion

2023 is such a rollercoaster ride, while it was mostly screaming fun, I still had a few low moments. Especially now that I am not in Japan anymore. I tried to rationalize what I have been feeling by skimming through journal about re-entry/reverse culture shock. Quoting from Marquette University , re-entry is a common reaction to returning home from studying abroad. I felt sad, melancholic, and frustrated by how I should behave with my coworkers; wondering why I have been feeling down a lot for the past three months. Usually, I would just record video journal as a replacement for this blog/writing, however since it's already late at night and I need to get this out immediately without my sister listening what I am experiencing right now, I thought, "why not going back to my usual blog so I can process what to do or how to behave?" So here I am. After my birthday, which was a couple of days ago, I felt this sudden change of mood. I no longer desire to go on a hiking trip w

Senior Thesis Story - The Never Ending Regrets

This story was originally posted on my Tumblr. Had to set it to private because of, reasons. This, is a story of How I Die…. No, no. It’s actually one of the sad story of a senior student. How she became so careless about her university’s life. It all began when a young maiden called Nedayah decided to click a subject oh her academic report. The Senior Thesis. A six credit subject that leads most of seniors to success, or never ending failures. There are many tears and blood and sad and painful stories behind this. No matter what, when you decided to graduate university or college from this path, you have to go forward. You have got to decide what kind of problem you want to take for research, what kind of methods you want to use, and what are the reasons why you choose this problem. So one day, Nedayah had an idea. That she will take a research about: the formulation of a local regulation about buildings. Her minds wandered for so long, thinking about what city she would choose.