Langsung ke konten utama

A Story of Unsuccessful Romance: Chapter 1

 I Saw You Across The Classroom

I would've never thought that the moment I saw him for the first time across our classroom was the moment that I would remember for the longest time. I was just a 14 year old kid who like pretty people with pretty eyes. Little did I know I would think over him over the years..

I got accepted to one of reputable public high school in my city, barely. My name was at the bottom of selection results, like, the last 5 people who got in to this school. Nevertheless, I was excited, of course. It was my dream to be a student here since it would help me path my way to go to reputable universities in the future.

Back then, this school had two special programs, the acceleration program where you could study in high school for two years, and the international program- where you (were supposed to) learn all the subjects in English. I just finished my orientation and I was initially studying at grade X(ten) - 3. My mom, who is a high school teacher herself in another city told me to apply for the acceleration program. But, I knew my capability. To compete with the smartest kids in school? I mean it was the school full of smart kids but there were some exceptionally ambitious kids who were determined to get into that program. I was not.

So, I decided to try the other program, even though I was sure I was also less clever than other kids who I saw was taking this test, one of them was someone I knew from junior high school who I knew was way smarter than me. After taking the test (which was on Sunday if I am not mistaken), and waited for around 2 weeks, we finally got the result. He didn't get in, I did. I passed the test for international class program, which to this day I believe I was just lucky. Or my mom's prayers were strong enough to help me through. But to credit it to my own aptitude? Nah uh.

I checked my name over and over again on that notice they pasted on the wall. I couldn't contain my excitement. I was thrilled, of the thought that I could somehow make my mom proud.

I remember the first day of that class, we were waiting for the teacher to come to the class. Padang was bright and hot as usual, and the voices of students from the classes all over the school echoing in the background. I was nervous, I didn't know anyone in the class unless that one student who went to the same junior high school as I did, and the other girl who was in the same class as I was prior to this new enrollment. However, I barely knew this boy since we never interacted whatsoever, so I sat next to K, the girl I barely knew. I realized they mostly knew each other since they went to the same junior high school, or elementary school, so I was a little nervous to befriending these girls and guys. The thought of my 7th grade came to mind, what if I get bullied the same way and I ended up not liking my high school moments?

While I was busy worrying and had these thoughts consumed me, the teacher finally entered the classroom and everyone went back to their seats. I was sitting on the the second row of the second line from the door, pretty much in front of the class. The subject was economics, and Mrs. Y asked us to stand up to do a little get to know each other thing. 

"Let's play a game, okay. I have this case of my glasses.." as she raised the case to show the class, "..which is empty. I will say my name, and I will pass the case to the person next to me. He or she will then restate my name and my intro - where I am from and what I like - as she introduces herself and pass it to the next person. And continue the cycle." She explained the rule of this little ice breaker.

We were passing her glasses' case to the next person and saying whom we got it from. I was standing in front of the whiteboard, barely remember who were standing to my left and right, but I remember who was standing across the room. A boy with a beautiful, bright dark eyes that captivated me even though my vision was bad at that time. I knew I need to renew my prescriptions. Maybe I was wearing my glasses, maybe not, but I remember I had to squint my eyes to see a clearer view. Yet, he still got me hooked. I was instantly fell for those pretty bright dark eyes. I would've never thought that the moment I saw him for the first time across our classroom was the moment that I would remember for the longest time. I was just a 14 year old kid who like pretty people with pretty eyes. Little did I know I would think over him over the years..


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

feelings and emotion

2023 is such a rollercoaster ride, while it was mostly screaming fun, I still had a few low moments. Especially now that I am not in Japan anymore. I tried to rationalize what I have been feeling by skimming through journal about re-entry/reverse culture shock. Quoting from Marquette University , re-entry is a common reaction to returning home from studying abroad. I felt sad, melancholic, and frustrated by how I should behave with my coworkers; wondering why I have been feeling down a lot for the past three months. Usually, I would just record video journal as a replacement for this blog/writing, however since it's already late at night and I need to get this out immediately without my sister listening what I am experiencing right now, I thought, "why not going back to my usual blog so I can process what to do or how to behave?" So here I am. After my birthday, which was a couple of days ago, I felt this sudden change of mood. I no longer desire to go on a hiking trip w

Senior Thesis Story - The Never Ending Regrets

This story was originally posted on my Tumblr. Had to set it to private because of, reasons. This, is a story of How I Die…. No, no. It’s actually one of the sad story of a senior student. How she became so careless about her university’s life. It all began when a young maiden called Nedayah decided to click a subject oh her academic report. The Senior Thesis. A six credit subject that leads most of seniors to success, or never ending failures. There are many tears and blood and sad and painful stories behind this. No matter what, when you decided to graduate university or college from this path, you have to go forward. You have got to decide what kind of problem you want to take for research, what kind of methods you want to use, and what are the reasons why you choose this problem. So one day, Nedayah had an idea. That she will take a research about: the formulation of a local regulation about buildings. Her minds wandered for so long, thinking about what city she would choose.