Langsung ke konten utama

Life as a single 30-ish woman

Entering the x-years of being single, I finally find some peace and the perks of being with no one. I get to know myself better, I somehow get more confident and believe in myself a bit. I can help my parents financially. I still dislike some of my personal traits, but on normal days - where I don't have hormone imbalances - I can somehow ignore them. I get to enjoy my days when I actually have money to do things; eating good food, going to places, and doing a lot of things with friends. Now that I live alone (again, after my student days in Japan), I am in the midst of figuring out of what I want to do. I get to hang out with friends whom I met from various chapter of my life who are still single, since the ones who are married are not always available.

And this thing is what I want to address. I cannot always relate, understand, and/or empathize the struggle of my married friends; like why can't I tell my stories to them anymore or why don't they share theirs. Or when I try to understand if they cancel plans last minute, try to accept that they will bring their partner or their family when we meet up. At the same time, they also don't understand how it feels to be single at the age of 30-ish. Sure, it seems less challenging compared to having a little family, with the drama from both their family and in-laws. It's not comparable. But since they find happiness in their little family, what I've been getting from some of them is this question, "when are you getting married?" Same old song I have been questioning myself for years, same old chant people sing whenever they meet single people; as if they forget how it feels to be bombarded with that question. And it's tiring. It's tiring to answer the same question from different people, while making a small laughter and trying to maintain happy face to not seem offended - for the sake of social norm. It's draining.

I wrote here before that I'm afraid of this institution, of getting and being married. I wasn't sure that I'd be capable of sharing my space with other person, every-single-day. I learn a thing or two when I live with my sister for about 6 years, I learn that I can be extremely lazy and won't make up the bed, or do other domestic activities. I don't really cook, and I can't drive. I have temper, I hold grudge, and most importantly, I suffer from insecurities that are crippling. It's a work in progress, but I don't think it's a strong foundation to be a functional partner and/or parent.

By all means, I am good with children. I finally learn how to get along with babies and toddlers, but that's pretty much because I feel like I'm still a child inside. Or, since I don't experience of raising a child. I don't know how to change diapers, how to stay awake the whole night to feed them, to teach them how to interact with other people. I can just be a happy-childish self to interact with the kids; things I wasn't able to do in the past. I overcome this crippling anxiety by trying to forgive and believe in myself. That's pretty much it. Just earlier today, as I was walking back home from the train station, I got called and stopped by this woman who asked me questions about unfaithful husband. I was worried that this is a new scheme of scamming people, but turned out she was probably just confused and heartbroken that she needed to vent and ask for validations and advice. Things you do when you're grieving/brokenhearted, I understand that. 

It reminds me of my own turning point exactly a year ago. It was a weird experience, to finally end the delusions I had been having for over a decade. I was mourning, I was questioning myself whether I was worth it, whether I was desirable, whether I was attractive, whether there is someone who would come through for me. That and the following events after that, finally helped me to make up my mind. That probably, in this world, my role is to stay single and to be the backbone of my nuclear family.

Look, I am grateful of my friends. I am grateful that they find happiness. I am grateful that they have their family. I wish nothing but the best and strength for them in this lifetime. But one thing I'll ask, to stop asking me the "when" question in every chance they get.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Story of Unsuccessful Romance: Chapter 1

 I Saw You Across The Classroom I would've never thought that the moment I saw him for the first time across our classroom was the moment that I would remember for the longest time. I was just a 14 year old kid who like pretty people with pretty eyes. Little did I know I would think over him over the years.. I got accepted to one of reputable public high school in my city, barely. My name was at the bottom of selection results, like, the last 5 people who got in to this school. Nevertheless, I was excited, of course. It was my dream to be a student here since it would help me path my way to go to reputable universities in the future. Back then, this school had two special programs, the acceleration program where you could study in high school for two years, and the international program - where you (were supposed to) learn all the subjects in English. I just finished my orientation and I was initially studying at grade X (ten) - 3. My mom, who was a high school teacher herself in a

amazing weekend

I went to Kota Tua and Monas last Friday with my housemates. I actually doubted that I could go there considering that I still had remaining undone tasks that had to be done. but since I've had the busiest week ever in May (meetings, assignments..), I decided to leave it and grab the rarest chance ever, spending time with my housemates, since we have this unmatched schedule. so we went to Kota Tua and we took a lot (trust me, A LOT) of photos with Laura's camera ;) and when the twilight touched this part of Indonesia, we set our feet to trans jakarta shelter and headed to Monas. even when hadn't touch the front gate of Monas, we already took so many pictures! hahaha you can imagine when a bunch of girls holding a camera.. we just can't hold the passion of taking pictures.. lol when we finally went back to our house, I immediately took a bath, and reached my bed to sleep because I was extremely exhausted, but happy! :D the next day, on Saturday morning, my friend asked

Day 26 (?) - Self Quarantine

I don't know about myself anymore. I hate myself. I loathe my sister, her high voice. I hate how I become easily angry at things. I hate everything. My colleagues from work finally asked me why I am not on Twitter anymore. Oh I still am. I'm just using a different account and signed out from my main account. I hate seeing my friends there, or I just hate that I keep pouring my minds out there that I felt insecure about them reading too much of my mind. Or I just hate how intense the discussion about how Indonesian Government handle the pandemic. I don't know. I just grow distant because I am not having a real interaction there. I hate chatting on app. I really don't like every single thing. And stuck with my sister? Oh God. Can I just die already? Like instant die. Instantly vanished. My existence doesn't matter anymore I need a break from being just a pain in the ass from anyone. I hate myself so much and this is not even from my PMS talking. My period end