Langsung ke konten utama

Ramadan, then and now

I was walking with my friends, former roommate and current roommate here in Depok, on our way to MUI to do taraweeh prayer when there were bunch of kids waiting for firecrackers to explode. Small scale of fire were lit, but the sound of explosion scared us a little. And as I am typing this, another one just exploded -_-

"When I was younger, I only played with small fireworks and colorful candles", I made a sudden commentary as we continued to walk.
"Me too", Dyta agreed with what I just said.

We talked about something else as we passed the rail heading to the mosque, but my mind wandered to years ago when I was in elementary school and always looked forward to Ramadan month, the holiest month in Islamic calendar. No, not the part where we fast from dawn to sunset, because I once witnessed my friends intentionally drink a glass of water in the afternoon and recite "Astaghfirullah" for a 100 times 😂😂
(not me, I am proud to say I never broke the fast unless I was sick). But the part where after we broke the fast with delicious and typical food in Ramadan, did Magrib prayer, and we played outside to light the candles on our fence and fired up fireworks and hung them on trees or just swirled them up in the air. My neighbors and I were about the same age, so we played together outside at night until it is time to do Isya and taraweeh prayer. And we got to listen the talk from Ustads and wrote down the notes on this special book.

Aah, how time flies..

Elementary school was the best of times. We got to play a lot, friends played outside, and there were a lot of us! Everything changed when we got into 6th grade and they focused to pass the school exams, and continued to junior high school where puberty hit and things just changed between girls and boys. But Ramadan stayed the same. We went to our neighborhood mushola, even got to learn there from dawn to noon to learn more about Islam, because in 2004 the government started this "Pesantren Kilat Ramadan" program where for a month we didn't study at school, but to learn more about Islam in our neighborhood mosques/mushola. I just loove those times...

And now, since I moved from my hometown to this city to continue my study and to work, Ramadan is not the same. It's just, not the right ambiance. I always associated Ramadan with my hometown, my family, my friends, the food.. Who broke the fast with oily fritters? Apparently only Jakartans because those are the common food for ta'jil here -_- I want my sweet and delicious cuisine for Iftar. I want to go taraweeh and hear the lecture in Minangnese. I even miss the heat I use to feel every Ramadan in Padang.

But fear not, after 3 years I finally can feel my favorite atmosphere again. Thank you, Government for setting up the mass leave from 11-20 June. Because in 2016 and 2017, I went back home when the Ramadan was over.

My only concern is that the pilots of the airline I'm gonna use is planning to do a strike on the peak flow of homecoming. Please do it on another day, just, please..

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

A Story of Unsuccessful Romance: Chapter 1

 I Saw You Across The Classroom I would've never thought that the moment I saw him for the first time across our classroom was the moment that I would remember for the longest time. I was just a 14 year old kid who like pretty people with pretty eyes. Little did I know I would think over him over the years.. I got accepted to one of reputable public high school in my city, barely. My name was at the bottom of selection results, like, the last 5 people who got in to this school. Nevertheless, I was excited, of course. It was my dream to be a student here since it would help me path my way to go to reputable universities in the future. Back then, this school had two special programs, the acceleration program where you could study in high school for two years, and the international program- where you (were supposed to) learn all the subjects in English. I just finished my orientation and I was initially studying at grade X(ten) - 3. My mom, who is a high school teacher herself in anot

feelings and emotion

2023 is such a rollercoaster ride, while it was mostly screaming fun, I still had a few low moments. Especially now that I am not in Japan anymore. I tried to rationalize what I have been feeling by skimming through journal about re-entry/reverse culture shock. Quoting from Marquette University , re-entry is a common reaction to returning home from studying abroad. I felt sad, melancholic, and frustrated by how I should behave with my coworkers; wondering why I have been feeling down a lot for the past three months. Usually, I would just record video journal as a replacement for this blog/writing, however since it's already late at night and I need to get this out immediately without my sister listening what I am experiencing right now, I thought, "why not going back to my usual blog so I can process what to do or how to behave?" So here I am. After my birthday, which was a couple of days ago, I felt this sudden change of mood. I no longer desire to go on a hiking trip w

Senior Thesis Story - The Never Ending Regrets

This story was originally posted on my Tumblr. Had to set it to private because of, reasons. This, is a story of How I Die…. No, no. It’s actually one of the sad story of a senior student. How she became so careless about her university’s life. It all began when a young maiden called Nedayah decided to click a subject oh her academic report. The Senior Thesis. A six credit subject that leads most of seniors to success, or never ending failures. There are many tears and blood and sad and painful stories behind this. No matter what, when you decided to graduate university or college from this path, you have to go forward. You have got to decide what kind of problem you want to take for research, what kind of methods you want to use, and what are the reasons why you choose this problem. So one day, Nedayah had an idea. That she will take a research about: the formulation of a local regulation about buildings. Her minds wandered for so long, thinking about what city she would choose.